Wednesday 20 February 2013

Deliberate Practice


I've been playing the keyboard intermittently for years. Haphazardly bashing out made up compositions which swirled in my head and nothing more on an old yamaha I got from back when I was a kid in high school.  I looked forward to visiting those I knew owned nicer keyboards which had one thing I was missing.

Touch sensitive keys.

In more familiar art terms to myself this is like gaining pressure sensitivity through a wacom tablet in photoshop etc. While before I had the variables of note, pattern and timing - music is severely limited in those dimensions. I could breathe new colour in to familiar pieces. This was musical depth, where I had previously been skating (sliding on my ass) over a frozen lake, nose pressed to the ice.

Instead of bursts of playing during visits over the years, with oceans of time between experiences, I have approached playing musically in the same way as I have approached art. Do it daily. When I started doing this, something magical happened. I improved, and the more I improved, the more I could play. The more I could play manifested as new arrangements and new ideas for worn pieces.

I've always claimed I could not read sheet music, I can. I understand it. I just haven't read often enough to do so fluently. I am going to change this. You could even send me cool arrangements of things you like.

If you wish to learn something, do it daily, don't give up, you'll see results.

Some links supporting this belief -

No comments :

Post a Comment